Friday, May 28, 2010

Gratitude and Memorial Day.

My Grandpa in the Army - WWII

It's been awhile since I posted; let alone done a Friday's F post. Today I am showing up to honor my Grandpa Jack as part of my Friday series, and also because it is Memorial Day weekend. He is one of my Favorite people, and he served our glorious country in WWII. No matter what our stance is on war, we must always honor those who have served. They put their lives on the line. Every one of them. No matter their beliefs, or feelings about the reason they are there. They show up, and risk it all. For me, for you, for our country. I honor that this weekend...and always. My thoughts are with all those who have served, are currently serving, all of the families that stay behind and wait for their loved ones, and all of the families who have lost loved ones. You are all on my gratitude list.

3 comments:

  1. Oh! I've been stalking here to see if I happened upon a new post, darling. (I've not been very bloggish lately either.) And today I find this! There's something about seeing photos of these young men as they were going off to war. And it's lovely to see this photo of your Grandpa Jack. I recently bought a scanner (yes, I'm a little slow with the tech factor) partly so that I could scan and share pictures of my father. He served in the ANZACS during WWII. The photos show him as strikingly handsome, seemingly eager and incredibly young. I too am grateful for the people who leave their homes and loved ones for long periods only to face great risks. I'm also idealistically awaiting the day that this is no longer something we need ask of our men and women.
    Thank you for sharing this today, honey. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture! My grandfather was lucky enough to be too young for WWI and too old for WWII but several of his brothers served (and one died). It's so true that no matter our beliefs/feelings about war, we need to remember and support those who are willing to die for this country.
    It's also an important reminder that this weekend is about more than beaches and beer :)
    Nice to see you back here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg I got a smile out of the fact that you have been stalking my blog. I am happy that you finally found something here ;-) I love looking at old pictures, I can't wait to see yours. And yes, I too am idealistically waiting for the day when we can heal the world with love, and our people never go to war again.

    Alana congrats again my friend. Maybe we should do our little play date sometime soon and you can channel some baby juju into me. I love and want peace, but I don't ever want a soldier to come back and feel that he or she is not supported. I can't imagine what that would feel like. Hope you got a little beach in this weekend...and some fun! Feels good to be back :)

    ReplyDelete

you are lovely. thanks for taking the time to comment.