Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Making it Through.

I have been crazed for the the last couple of weeks. The ugly truth of it, is that I was unprepared and unorganized. I've been making my rings and it's not a full blown business yet, so I was unprepared for the busyness of it all. The rush kicked my butt a bit. That in conjunction with my darling husband turning 40, and trying to throw him a surprise party on Christmas night nonetheless, also helped with the butt kicking.

The holiday boutiques, the scheduling, the production time... was and is all new to me. All proceeds went to both Christmas and the party, and not knowing what the proceeds would actually be...added to my craziness. I was a ring making machine, all consumed. Next year, I will be entering the holiday season with with a definite plan of attack, and earlier than I thought I needed to this year. Once I got through the last of the boutiques, I went into full blown birthday mode! I ran around picking up the cake, decorations, beverages, food, etc. While spinning tales and misleading my husband all the way. The good news is that the party went off without a hitch (a few hiccups, of course!). And we survived Christmas. The next morning we headed to Vegas to celebrate a dear friend's 40th birthday. Tired yes. Exhausted yes. Happy Yes. Fun Yes. Happy it's over?...Yes.

Through it all, the one thing that I have been feeling a bit melancholy about, is not keeping up with the Gwen Bell's Best of 2009 Blog Challenge . I have the tendancy to create hurdles for myself. I create expectations for myself. I let the gremlins creep in and whisper mean things. And I was starting down the road. You know the one?... Or do you? That long and winding road. It takes me to a place at the bottom of a steep hill, the place from which if I allow myself to, I can look up and think about what I should have done. What I could have done. And how far of a climb it will be to get back to where I was. Though this time...I thwarted those pesky gremlins! I felt it for a few moments, and then decided that it's all been worth it. If I could go back and do it all again...sure I would be more organized, more prepared. I would blog every single day. I would have allowed for some more breathing time for myself. But in the end the outcome is all that really matters. And I did it. I made it through. I enjoyed myself most of the time. I threw a kick ass surprise party. I got to spend quality time with friends and family. And I asked for help when I needed it - that is huge.

So in this moment. I am happy with where I'm at. Will I finish out the rest of the #best09 challenge? I plan to. But if I don't make it, will I be any less? No.  Hot damn...does that feel good! I am liking the way 2010 is looking already.

5 comments:

  1. Hot Damn, is right! No less. Love your post. You've let us peek in on an important part of your life. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting a bit easier to reveal myself Julie. Layer by layer. Thanks for your support! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yeah! I love reading this kind of post - it's a reminder to ME to relax, breath, LIVE...sooo lovely when we get off our own backs!! yea YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hello! Sounds like you're really peeling away the layers and letting yourself off the hook. It's a beautiful thing when we can do that for ourselves. Good things are certainly to come in the new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen. Man does it feel good to get off my back! Thank goodness for all of the wise, amusing, and uplifting words I read on your blog. So great to have a group of great women around for the reminders :)

    Sara I popped over to your blog, and I'm so happy to have found you! Thanks for commenting and introducing yourself :)

    ReplyDelete

you are lovely. thanks for taking the time to comment.